« Cellier des Dauphins » is a French cooperative group made up of 13 Cooperative wine cellars from the Southern Rhône valley. It is also known under the name "Union des Vignerons des Côtes du Rhône" (U.V.C.D.R). Since its creation in 1965, Cellier des Dauphins has been a major producer in this wine region and remains today the undisputed leader for Côtes du Rhône wines.
6 cooperative wine cellars in the Drôme region decided to pool their resources in order to optimise the sale of their production, which until then was mostly distributed in bulk. Together, they began bottling their wine (Nyons, Vinsobres, St Maurice, Tulette Nouvelle, Tulette Costebelle and Suze la Rousse wine cellars). The "Union des Vignerons des Caves Coopératives du Sud de la Drôme" was founded in 1965. It later changed its name to "Union des Vignerons des Côtes du Rhône". Today the U.V.C.D.R includes 13 cooperative wine cellars.
Both the head office and the bottling plant of thr group are located in Tulette, a charming fortified Provence village at the heart of the Rhône valley vineyards, between mountains and lavender fields.
The U.V.C.D.R wine growers have led many operations to demonstrate and promote the value of their products and activities, also of their region and appellations:
- Towards the end of the 60s, the creation of the Côtes du Rhône "Cellier des Dauphins" brand, with its unique bottle shape, marked the beginning of a long relationship with major retailers and French consumers. From their creation, the success of the historical brand and the development of the U.V.C.D.R. have been closely tied. "Cellier des Dauphins" now meaning both the best-selling brand on the Côtes du Rhône market and the enterprise itself.
- U.V.C.D.R. wine growers also participated in the creation of the famous "Commanderie des Côtes du Rhône" in 1973, and a few years later, in 1978, in the creation of the Wine University, established in the Chateau de Suze La Rousse.
- In 1989, the Château de Rochegude completed this exclusively regional heritage. Until June 2007, the management of the luxury hotel activity on this exceptional site was ensured by Cellier des Dauphins.
- The Château de l’Estagnol and its vineyard covering 80 hectares joined U.V.C.D.R in 1995. Nestled in the woods, between the villages of Suze-la-Rousse and Baume-de-Transit, the oldest parts of this simple and elegant building date from the Louis Philippe era.
- In 1996, U.V.C.D.R acquired the "Maison Louis Mousset", of which it was already a shareholder. This Chateauneuf-du-Pape establishment, specialized in the trade of fine wines and Rhône Valley wines since 1958, broadened and completed the Union's range.
- Finally, on January 1st 2009, 3 cooperative wine cellars known under the name of "Vignerons de l’Enclave" joined U.V.C.D.R, bringing the total number of Cellier des Dauphins wine cellars to 13.
Today U.V.C.D.R. / Cellier des Dauphins is THE MAJOR PRODUCER in the Rhône Valley and the UNDISPUTED LEADER for Côtes du Rhône wines.